- This work by is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
Have students make human numberlines to increase Number Sense.
- Index cards or card stock labeled with a set of whole numbers, decimals or fractions (or mix them up).
- Sample numbers: 2.04; 2.302; 2.08; 2.104; 2.137; 2.839; 2.4; 2.113; 2.07; 2.071; 2.01; 2.7; 2.009; 2.708; 2.18; 2.2
Make a set of number cards (whole numbers, decimals, fractions) for the class ( based on the numbers you are working with at the time. Do not start with one to encourage true number sense.
Pass a number to each student making sure to mix up the order.
Students then have to put themselves in order from least to greatest without talking. After the first try, I tell them how many are out of order and let them try to fix it (again without talking). This continues until all the numbers are in the correct order. Finally, starting with the least number, I have them read their numbers out loud in order (especially important for large numbers or decimals.)
1. Include equivalent decimals such as 2.7 and 2.70 and allow the students to figure out how to placed themselves on the number line (they should end up one in front of the other instead of side by side to demonstrate equivalency on the number line.)
2. Mix up decimals and fractions! This one is fun!
3. Have two students without a number card. Their job is to correct mistakes after the students arrange themselves the first time. This must also be done without talking!
Assessment is instantaneous. You will immediately begin to see who understands the concepts and there are no papers to grade!