- This work by is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
This lesson provides students with a basic understanding of a Chinatown in a large city as well as the celebration of Chinese New Year.
- ChinaTown book by William Low (published by Henry Holt and Co)
- Lion Dancer: Ernie Wan's Chinese New Year by Kate Waters and Martha Cooper (a Reading Rainbow Book published by Scholastic)
- Chinese New Year mini-book from EnchantedLearning.com
- To introduce students to the Winter Holiday celebration of Chinese New Year.
- To introduce students to a ChinaTown neighborhood.
Read ChinaTown by William Low. Discuss. (There is great vocabulary in this story as well as vivid storytelling which makes the text come alive in conjunction with the pictures.)
Read Lion Dancer by Kate Waters and Martha Cooper. Compare the stories of the two boys.
Use the Chinese New Year mini-book from EnchantedLearning.com to further explore the celebration.
Paper Lanterns could be made.
Red envelopes could be given to students with coupons that could be traded for a homework pass, a dress down day, extra free time or recess, or extra silent reading time.
The Chinese New Year mini-book could be used for assessment purposes if desired.