- This work by is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
There are 1 assets for this resource.
This is a lesson plan I used with my lowest group of 5th graders. I have a large number of IEP's in this class and they did great with this!
The Christmas Blizzard by Helen Ketteman
Markers, crayons, colored pencils
- The students will be able to identify literary elements from the story.
- As a pre-assessment, ask students to raise their hands and tell you the meaning of character, plot, setting, and resolution.
- Review these terms with students to make sure they understand the meanings and how they relate to literature.
- Read The Christmas Blizzard aloud to students. Discuss various story elements show such as characters, setting, plot, and the resolution.
- Each student will receive one note card and drawing/coloring materials. They will choose one setting from the story to draw and create a postcard.
- On the plain side, the students will draw their drawing. On the lined side, the students will write a short note to describe the setting. They will include a greeting, closing, and a signature.
- If time permits, students will share their postcards with the class on document camera.
Exit slip: As students leave, they will verbally tell me either a character, setting, plot, or resolution of the story.