- This work by is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
Teaching genre through the scholastic catalog
- scholastic sends to schools catalogs for the children to choose and purchase books. After the students tear off their order form save the catalog pages to use in this activity
- Students will be able to recognize the genre of a book from a brief summary and cover of the book
1. Discuss the students what genre is, and make a list of common genre for the students to see (historical fiction, science fiction, poetry, biography, horror, reference, etc.)
2. Show examples of books from your room and let the kids guess what genre they are
3. Give each child a catalog sheet. Remind the children that each book has a number on it. Assign them certain numbers to lable the genre. ( choose the books that the genre is clear....don't do them all, too many)
4. Have them turn in their answers for either tomorrow's discussion or a grade.
Challenge: have them design their own book and summary and let the other kids guess the genre
Special Needs: Give them a multiple choice of genre