- This work by is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
I do a Denise Fleming author study with my students. They love her colorful illustrations in <a href="http://bookwizard.scholastic.c... Eye</i></a> and enjoy creating their own paper creations. Students love cooking projects and eating the end result.
- Pumpkin Eye by Denise Fleming
Ingredients for Pumpkin Squares from Debra F. Weber
- 4 eggs
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 27-oz can pumpkin purée
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 mixing bowls
- spoon for stirring
- rimmed cookie sheet or jelly roll pan
Students will "apply appropriate techniques, tools, and formulas to determine measurements." --Massachusetts Mathematics Curriculum Frameworks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs,sugar, oil and pumpkin.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a large, rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before frosting.
- For the frosting: Cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar together. Blend in the vanilla. Spread over the pumpkin squares when cool.
Make an extra batch to donate to a local community meal.